I alluded to this salad in a previous post (GLORIOUS GREENS), but I made this salad recently and I decided it deserves its own post.
This salad is THE BOMB DOT COM
It’s zesty from the lemon, smoky from the toasted almonds, and fresh from the greens. It’s a great salad to help see some green during the gray winter. This big salad is perfect for dinner–it needs nothing else. Because the greens are VERY crispy, it also keeps until the next day for lunch.
Brussels Sprouts + Kale Salad
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup sliced raw almonds
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, minced
- salt + lots of pepper
1. Wash the kale, and remove the stems from the kale. (I usually do this by pulling the leaves off the stem, but you can also use a knife to cut the stem out.) Then, stacking the leaves on top of one another, roll them up a like a fat cigar and slice them as thinly as possible. Run the kale through a salad spinner or pat dry with paper towels. Then, in a salad bowl, drizzle the kale with 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt and toss. This is called “massaging the kale.” It’s a ridiculous name that I can only imagine a hipster with a beard in Brooklyn made up, but it helps the kale absorb the dressing later.
2. Wash and trim the Brussels sprouts, cutting off the end, and removing any outer leaves that are yellow/brown. Then, slice the sprouts as thinly as possible (or alternatively, shred them in a food processor). Add the sprouts to the salad bowl with the kale.
3. Toast the almonds. Heat a pan over medium heat and add the almonds. Shake them around every minute or so and remove from heat once they turn golden brown. Do not leave these unattended–they like to burn the second they think you aren’t looking.
4. Make the vinaigrette. In a small-medium bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, shallot, lots of black pepper, and salt to taste. Whisk it until it comes together. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Dress the salad and top with the almonds.