The food so nice they named it twice! This pearly, tiny pasta is delicious! …And Jamie Oliver week continues. I modified this recipe varying the amount of herbs and spice. I also threw in some beans to make it a meal instead of a side. This is a SERIOUSLY fast meal. 15-17 minutes and you’re eating dinner. Perfect for a day when it took me 90 minutes to get home on a subway line recovering from 2 epic snowstorms.
Tomato, Cucumber, and Herb Couscous
adapted from Jamie Oliver
- 1 1/4 cups couscous
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 2-3 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 bunch mint, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons plain tomato sauce
- 1, 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons of olie oil
- salt + pepper
1. Boil about 4 cups of water (you need only enough to cover the couscous). In a bowl, mix together the couscous, cumin, paprika, and a dash of salt. When the water boils, pour the water onto the couscous mixture just enough to cover (you may not use all the water). Cover the bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. During the 10 minutes, get busy. Dice the herbs and vegetables. Drain and rinse the beans. Zest and juice the lemon.
3. After 10 minutes, fluff the couscous with a fork. Add in the tomato sauce, vegetables, herbs, chickpeas, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil. Mix together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.