In the past two weeks, I’ve made this dip three times, and it was a hit each time (at least with hungry graduate students at a picnic and on Cape Cod). Today I made it for a Memorial Day picnic with my parents! It’s perfect for a party or picnic and is best with crudités, pita chips, or tortilla chips. I even made a thinner version of it last fall as a salad dressing (thinning it down with a little more olive oil and lime juice). Since there is avocado involved, don’t make it more than one day in advance. Adjust proportions or amounts to your own taste–I don’t really even measure the ingredients.
Here’s to kicking off summer this Memorial Day with a crowd-pleasing, healthy picnic dip!
BASIL + AVOCADO DIP
(makes ~4 cups)
- 2 avocados, halved and seeded
- 6oz, nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch of basil, leaves torn and stems removed
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, scoop out the avocados. Add the yogurt, basil, garlic, the juice of 1 lime, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add more lime juice and olive oil, until the dip is smooth, whipped and creamy. Season to taste.
Straight into a Pyrex so it’s picnic ready!