So easy and so flavorful. Sumac is tart and lemony and perfectly savory; it does magic to onions. This quick salad is a modified mashup of two recipes I like (Serious Eats’ Marinated Kale & Sumac Onions and the Kitchn’s Chickpea Salad with Red Onion, Sumac & Lemon). You’ll be eating dinner in about 15 minutes! Here I wilt the spinach, but you could just as deliciously and perhaps even more easily just serve the chickpea salad over a bed of raw spinach.
CHICKPEA + SUMAC ONION SALAD over SPINACH
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 15oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 teaspoons, ground sumac
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/2 bunch dill, chopped
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz (fresh) spinach
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
1. In a large bowl, toss the onions with sumac, chile powder, and salt until the onions are well coated. Add the chickpeas, parsley, dill, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and mix. Taste and adjust seasoning.
2. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Divide the spinach among 4 bowls, topping with the chickpea salad. Serve.