Black beans, avocado, and eggs go together for breakfast like peas and carrots and Jenny and Forrest. They’re just so damn good together.
This is an easy brekky and would be perfect for feeding folks on the weekend for brunch (not to mention impressive). Serve hot sauce and/or salsa at the table. Use guac instead of sliced avocado if that makes you giddy inside. And, if a perfectly wrapped burrito brings you peace and fulfillment, check this out.
Enjoy this BBBB (Black Bean Breakfast Burrito),
Don’t overstuff – which is way easier to say then do!
Ready to roll! (No pics of that because I’m not Superman. I don’t think I can roll and take photos at the same time!)
I’m really into Cholula. The chipotle flavor is b a n a n a s.
OM NOM NOM. (Sorry.)
Black Bean Breakfast Burrito
- 1, 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 2-3 tablespoons salsa
- 1 avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 egg whites + 2 whole eggs
- glug of olive oil
- 4, 10 inch tortillas
- salt + pepper
- hot sauce and salsa for serving
1. In a medium bowl, add the beans and season with cumin, chile powder, salt, black pepper, and the 2-3 tablespoons salsa.
2. Heat a little olive oil (~1 tablespoon) in a medium nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Whisk together the eggs with a fork and season with a little salt and pepper. Add the eggs and cook, pushing the eggs around frequently with a rubber spatula until cooked to your likeness (I prefer a softer scramble).
3. Build and wrap your burrito. Fill each tortilla with 1/4 of the avocado, black beans, and eggs in the lower center. Fold the tortilla over, then fold in the sides, and roll to tuck in the edge. (See link above in intro for a burrito-wrapping lesson). Serve immediately!