This is a F U N summer salad – grilled chicken and grilled asparagus over a bed of watercress with lemon vinaigrette. It’s simple but flavorful. Watercress is the perfect green because it’s fresh, zesty and peppery, though you could use any green you wanted (spinach, arugula, mesclun).
This grill pan makes grilling veggies so easy! I highly recommend it!
Long gone are the days of trying different seasonings and marinades for grilling chicken – unnecessary! Salt and pepper is all you need!
This might just be my favorite grilled chicken salad yet!
Grilled Chicken & Asparagus over Watercress
- 4 small (4-5oz) chicken breasts
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 2 bunches watercress
- handful of parsley leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- small bunch of dill, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for marinating asparagus
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt + pepper
1. (If using a charcoal grill, light the coals.) Trim the woody ends off the asparagus. Put the trimmed asparagus in a gallon sized zip lock bag and add a glug or two of olive oil along with a little salt and plenty of pepper. Tread lightly with the salt; I find it’s particularly easy to over salt asparagus.
2. Trim any excess fat from the chicken breasts. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and then season with salt and pepper on both sides.
3. Make the vinaigrette. In a medium bowl, add the lemon juice, mustard, and dill. As you whisk, drizzle in the 1/3 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Grill the asparagus first, moving the asparagus around occasionally to cook evenly, about 8-10 minutes. You want the asparagus to be tender (but not mushy) and have some good grill color. Remove the asparagus to a cutting board or plate to cool a little. Then, grill the chicken, about 5 minutes per side or until it reaches 165 degrees. Allow the chicken to rest for 3-5 minutes.
5. Chop the asparagus in thirds and then dice the chicken (about 1/2 inch dice). Combine the chicken and asparagus in a bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Divide the watercress among four plates and serve the chicken and asparagus over the greens. Sprinkle some parsley on top.