Grilling vegetables can be a little repetitive, and though many different vegetables can be grilled, some veggies are easier to grill than others. I personally really like grilled broccoli, but I find it’s hard to cook evenly without burning it.
I tend to grill summer squash, corn, asparagus, peppers, and onions, which grill much more consistently. Because the veggies I favor on the grill are such a small group, it’s important to season them and use them differently to avoid burnout.
I love this salad for that reason – walnuts, herbs, and a vinaigrette add a kick to the corn and zucchini.
Grilled Squash and Corn Salad
modified from Tasting Table
- 2 pounds summer squash, such as yellow squash or zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 poblano peppers, whole
- 4 ears of corn, husks intact
- 1 bunch mixed herbs, roughly chopped, such as parsley, cilantro, basil, and chives
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- salt + pepper
- Trim a few layers of husk off the corn along with the cornsilk. Put the squash in a gallon sized zip lock bag or plastic container, season with a little salt and pepper, and a tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat.
2. Grill the corn and poblano peppers over medium-high heat. Turn the corn every few minutes and cook until the husks are charred, and the corn is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Allow the corn to cool. Turn the peppers so that each side chars well. Remove the peppers to a bowl and cover with cling wrap for about 10 minutes. Remove the seeds and stem from the pepper and dice. Cut the corn off the cob. Add both to a medium bowl.
3. Drain the oil off the squash and grill over medium heat until the squash is tender and has good grill color. Add the squash to the bowl with the peppers and corn.
4. Toast the walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat, shaking frequently. Toast just until the walnuts turn slightly golden and become fragrant.
5. Add the walnuts, lemon zest, red onion, and herbs to the bowl with the grilled vegetables.
6. Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, pinch of red pepper, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Season to taste. Pour onto the vegetables and toss to combine. Serve.